Please scroll down the page to read the conversations or click on Labels (key words) or Titles

Friday, September 28, 2007

- Learning the teaching challenge: Inadvertently practicing exclusion

The teacher had credited the saying on a poster the students had made as Chinese. She didn’t know the quote was part of the student’s aboriginal tradition.

Student: I was told to prepare a list of quotes to validate his aboriginal culture, I didn’t take time to ask him which aboriginal group he belonged to; I grouped all aboriginal cultures in one pot as if they were all the same. I was surprised I had made such a mistake; I had gotten an A in Aboriginal Studies!...After a quick look, the aboriginal student politely, refused to accept the list. He said: “You might find a better use of this list, it doesn’t interest me; no saying is credited to my Cree tradition”.


No comments: